Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The long and the short of it- or- it might not be better next year...




Tory Burch Resort 2014
Too much time has elapsed since my last post, partially  because of some wonderful but time consuming work deadlines, but also because I really haven't been shopping much lately. Odd, because I LOVE spring/ summer clothing.  Nothing is really calling out to me. By and large things seem so teeny, so short, so bright, so synthetic and so pricey at most of my favorite retailers this season.   Even Brooks Brothers has succumbed to the call of the short, short dress.
Sleeveless Sailing Dress
I am sure that I am older than the demographic they are courting, but surely even the really young need to sit down sometimes.


From the Daddy Likey blog"Here's a classic "For the love of God, hold down that hem!" moment:

I peeked in the mall  the other day and started smiling because the dresses and high hems reminded me of a funny(but probably NSFW) feature about too short skirts on a blog that I used to read. Daddy Likey  was voted as one of the most influential design blogs  a few years ago.  I don't think Winona is still blogging, but this link still works.  I wonder if Winona knew she was forecasting a trend!


Alberta Ferretti Resort 2014

 A quick glance at the Resort 2014 collections shows that the short skirt trend is still going to be strong for next year, although there were some quite long skirts for contrast.

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/2014RST-MILLY/#13Milly Resort 2014

I asked a trusted SA at one of my local J Crew stores about a particularly scandalously high hem on an otherwise great dress.  Her response- "I liked it too, but I am not supposed to wear it to work because it is too short."  Yes- that says it all.

JCrew Swoop Dress in Thistle Print

7 comments:

  1. well jeepers creepers - thought i responded last night - I think the blogger ate my homework!

    I am desperate for a slightly longer hemline as well. i genuinely dont get it! I love the thistle print dress above, but the hem - oy vey! My daughter would say that these designers are intent on showing our ovaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WMM,Your daughter would probably have loved Winona's blog. Very funny. The hems startle me, and like you, I am 5 ft 2" tall, so these items must be quite scant on other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so over the short skirts and I'm also only 5'2". Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. All the retailers are doing is driving customers that need work clothes to other stores. Age or not, you can only wear a short skirt to very few workplaces.

      Delete
  4. This Spring/Summer season has been the worst for J Crew and me. First summer in years that there wasn't a cotton or linen skirt to add to my wardrobe. I told my VPS (Online) that I purchased 8 pieces of Eileen Fisher clothing to take on my trip to France, as the fabrics were all cotton, linen, or cotton/linen blends, or silk tees that were not see through and did not need another (hot) layer. In fact, I don't think I packed any J Crew except for accessories - scarves, purses, clutch, and jewelry. Today I went in to the store to do a return, and my VPS there was telling me about the new fall items coming within the week. She seemed excited - telling me about a SWEATER that she knows I will love because it is long, loose sleeves that are narrow the end (Swing sweater style) etc. I replied that it does sound adorable, but I already have several merino and cashmere sweaters I haven't worn yet - that I picked up at greatly reduced prices, lol - that I plan to wear in the fall. I only pre-ordered two items a few weeks ago - and they are both HATS!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad but true. All of their pouf-y short incredibly heavy dresses are languishing on the sale racks, as are all of the teeny skirts. Imagine looking for tanks that don't need to be layered, or linen sweaters instead of cashmere. I really miss their fresh fun styles. I am sure your Eileen Fisher pieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purchase via online shopping several quality of designer Mini Skirts, fashion Skinny Jeans, clothing Maxi Dress, Cutout Dress in affordable rates. Mostly latest fashion design available on shopping portal and you can easily compare their prices and other detail's.

    ReplyDelete